Philippines leading on social media

Philippines leading on social media

The Philippines ranked as “the most social nation” or the country with the most active population on social media, according to the latest State of the Mobile Web report released by Opera Software. Mobile Internet users in the Philippines have a tendency to visit social-networking sites more than any other. In fact, 86 percent of the page views from Opera Mini mobile browser users in the Philippines are to social-networking sites, which represents the highest percentage among Opera Mini's top-50 user countries on a global scale.

Social networking is one of the country's most active web-based activities. Filipinos are the most active users on a number of web-based social network sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter on a global scale. Tagged as “The Social Networking Capital of the World,” the Philippines have adopted an extensive cyberculture. With over 7.9 million Filipinos using the Internet, 6.9 million of them visit a social networking site at least once a month. David Jones, vice president for global marketing of Friendster - one of the most visited websites in the Philippines - said that “the biggest percentage of (their site's) user is from the Philippines, clocking in with 39 percent of the site's traffic.”

A study released by Universal McCann entitled “Power to the People - Wave3” declared the Philippines as “the social networking capital of the world,” with 83 percent of Filipinos surveyed are members of social network. They are also represent the largest photo uploaders and web video viewers, ranking second in terms of the number of blog readers and video uploaders.

According to the closely followed internet trends report released by social media management platform Hootsuite and United Kingdom- based consultancy We Are Social Ltd. the Filipinos spend an average of 4 hours and 17 minutes per day on social media sites such as Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter. The data is based on active monthly users data from social media companies.

The Philippines's social media usage, however, stands in stark contrast to its internet speed. The country's fixed broadband speed is among the slowest in Asia Pacific while mobile connections are among the fastest, which explains why smartphones‘ usage in the Philippines has increased exponentially.

Within a year, the Opera Mini user base in the Philippines increased by 41 percent, and is how the eight-largest in the world and second-largest in Southeast Asia. Its smartphone user base also increased by an unprecedented 90 percent.

The study shows the key trends revolutionizing the mobile web in the country:

It is undeniable that the mobile web usage is growing in the Philippines, with an increase of the number of page views to 62 percent. Browsing 638 webpages on average per month, the Opera Mini user in the Philippines browses more than the average, which is 615 pages.

With an 86 percent of page views by Opera Mini users in the Philippines, mobile internet users in the country have the highest social-media activity in the world. This also represents the highest percentage among the top-50 Opera Mini user countries. Which social network do they visit more? Facebook clearly dominates, while Twitter, Wordpress, tumblr, Pinterest, and Flirchi rank among the 20 most visited sites.

Most Filipinos have either a smartphone or a local phone brand. Indeed, more than half of Filipinos who browse with Opera Mini users do so on smartphones. The smartphone adoption rate has grown year on year in the Philippines. Meanwhile, local smartphone brands are increasing their market share. In fact, Cherry Mobile has overtaken Samsung, with a 27 percent market share, and another local brand, MyPhone, has 8 percent. These two local smartphone brands' total market share put together is 35 percent, higher than Nokia's 31 percent.

“The prevalence of the smartphone is driving internet usage in the Philippines,” said Eiko H. Raquel, Country Manager for the Philippines at Opera Software. “Filipinos love to share things with friends and families. This country used to be the text-messaging capital of the world. Now, with easier internet access and higher smartphone adoption, the Philippines has not only been crowned the ‘selfie capital of the world' by Time magazine, but also has now been ranked as the most social nation” by Opera."

Founded back in 1996 and with over 350 million customers, Opera provides faster and more innovative web browsers. Originally from Norway, Opera Software AS is a privately held company.